A lot of wedding couples choose a friend or family member to be the MC at their wedding. While this can be a good option in some cases, it can also be a not so great decision in other cases. It’s important to carefully select who will be the MC for your wedding as they will be in control of the flow, making sure that the reception stays on time, set the tone for the evening and run all the introductions, speeches and any other activities that will be happening throughout the reception.
Here are just a few things that a Professional MC has experience with and will do to make sure your wedding reception runs smoothly.
- Ability to politely get people’s attention over the microphone.
- Knowledge of checking to make sure the bridal party, parents and other important guests are in the room and ready for the speeches before introducing them (you would be surprised how often we see this happen when the MC introduces the parents of the bride and both the parents and the bride are not in the room!)
- Experience with public speaking and using a microphone.
- Coordinate details of everything that is happening during the reception with the DJ, Venue, Caterer, Photographer, Videographer, Performers and anyone else that is speaking or taking part in the events that are happening.
- Experience and knowledge of the best timing of when to fit announcements and activities into the reception schedule.
- Pre-planning with the timeline, script, activities and much more which can include interviews or questions to the bridal party and parents to create a unique, personal and memorable reception for you and your guests.